A roofing system is not made of shingles alone–it’s actually an arrangement of components all working together to protect your home from weather damage. Some of these parts are not as visible as your shingles, but they’re no less important. Dynamic Roofing Concepts, the area’s premier roof repair and replacement expert, lists six of the key parts that make up an asphalt roof.
1. Starter strip shingles. These refer to the first row of material that helps stop shingles from blowing off during high winds. Not only do starter strip shingles prevent water infiltration, they are also critical for proper roof installation.
2. Hip and Ridge Products. Also known as ridge cap shingles, these components provide a lovely finishing touch to your asphalt roofing system.
3. Shingles. They are the most noticeable part of the roof, and the one that takes the full brunt of weather damage. Asphalt shingles typically come with a fiberglass base and are coated with protective mineral granules to head off windstorms, heavy rainfall, and blistering heat. Like metal roofing, asphalt shingles are available in a variety of colors and styles. Some can even emulate the natural beauty of wood shakes and slate, allowing for many design possibilities.
4. Underlayment. This offers an extra layer of protection between the wood deck and shingles, helping protect the system from water infiltration. The underlayment may come in asphalt-saturated, organic and rubberized asphalt options.
5. Ice and Water Barriers. They protect the more leak-prone spots of your roof, including the area around chimneys, dormers, valleys, skylights and vent pipes.
6. Proper Ventilation. Your roofing should have good ventilation to prevent heat and moisture buildup in the attic. Otherwise, the trapped heat and moisture can weaken the roof structure, encourage mold and mildew, and lower the energy efficiency in your home.
As a GAF® Master Elite® company, Dynamic Roofing Concepts offer the exceptional GAF Lifetime Roofing System. This has all the crucial components that make up your asphalt roofing system, and comes with an industry-leading warranty covering both materials and labor. We serve the areas in and around Brandon, Clearwater and Tampa, FL. Call us today at (813) 657-7663 or fill out this contact form to schedule your estimate.